July 16, 2014

Cecile's Summer Dress

Addy enjoys modeling.
This dress was a request from a client--she wanted one of higher quality than American Girl's version and more similar to the book illustration as well.

American Girl's cheaply made and sucky version...
//
(not my photo)

...vs. the book illustration!
I had so much fun making this dress! From the search for an appropriately yellow fabric and mint trim just the right shade,

I couldn't find yellow striped fabric, so I sewed down stripes of cream-colored ribbon instead.

 to the pretty lace on the petticoat and the pleating of all that tiny trim (it may seem tedious but I adore it) 


to the meticulous skirt gauging, I enjoyed every minute. I don't know, I just really enjoy the challenge of making something similar to a picture, finding the right fabrics and trims and deconstructing the pattern from mere clues. And this one was a bit of a doozy--look at those sleeves! And that yoke! 

I wish I had a cage crinoline to show off that full skirt!
The blouse pattern was one I modified (slashed & spread it as well as added a yoke) from the American Girl Kirsten patterns. The sleeves were from Josefina's patterns, again heavily modified. And then I just added a full & long skirt (to fit over a cage crinoline) and a high collar, and there you go! 

I don't know about you, but I think my version is vastly superior to American Girl's *sniffs*
;)

Yellow Fabric: thrift store blouse
Mint Trim: Hobby Lobby
Lining: a sheet my grandma gave me //  cotton lace from JoAnn's


No comments:

Post a Comment