Along with my new chemise, a new corset is in order! My old one was dreadful; I made it about five years ago, without a pattern, as a sort of "basic" corset that would work for multiple costume eras--and when I started doing living history events a couple of years later, decided it would have to do. Unfortunately it didn't. ;)
My friend Bethany was generous enough to loan me Past Patterns 703, which is based on an actual corset from 1863. It was quite easy to put together, although I omitted several things and changed several others. The original pattern has an extra band of horsehair around the bottom edge to help support the skirts; I left that out. It also doesn't open all the way down the back; changed that too. I think I also unwittingly omitted a bone or two (didn't make much difference as far as I'm concerned). And as I don't like busks, nor have ever used one, I made the front open with spiral lacing for easy on/off.
|I love how pretty historic underthings are!|